Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Homesteads

Subject: Homesteads
Posted: July 21, 2005 5:46 PM MDT
Comments: History of homesteads in Northeastern New Mexico
Posted By: Roman Lucero

Subject:
Posted: January 11, 2006 9:34 PM MST
Comments: My Great, great Grandparents homesteaded east of Tucumcari in the mid-1800's. Their community was called New Home. My grandparents donated the land to the State, which consisted of a church/school, a store, several houses and a cemetery. All that remains is the cemetery, but time and the wind has taken it's toll. Many of the headstones were adobe or sandstone. The wind has erroded them to the point that there are no names on many of the markers. It is still an official county cementery. Where would the records be (if there are any) showing who is buried there and in which plots? I would like to create records to document the cemetery and it's occupants. Can you offer any information that might help me? I would be interested in any information regarding New Home. Since they homesteaded the land, it should be in the Homestead Records. I think the family names are Mars and Bogart.
Posted By: Marsha Bogart

Subject:
Posted: September 13, 2006 11:04 AM MDT
Comments: I am researching my family history and had always heard a story that my great grandfather, Ercole Garbaccio, had been involved in trying to obtain land in New Mexico via the Homestead Act. Unfortunately he became ill before the time limit was up and had to return to the East. He died not long after, around 1900, but the story of his attempt to set up a home in New Mexico has been handed down through two generations of our family. Could you tell me how I could further research the history of the Homestead Act in New Mexico and possibly find out any way to verify that at least the story of my great grandfather's efforts are indeed true? I am the "Family Genealogist", so I am patient but persistent in my searching! Any suggestions or guidance you could offer would be extremely appreciated!
Posted By: Linda J. Barnes

Posted: March 11, 2007 3:46 PM MDT
Comments: My Great Grandparents Gustuv A. Pohl and Mary E. Pohl homesteaded in Scholle,New Mexico in 1911. My G. grandfather was killed on the railroad just west of the scholle switch in 1917 he is buried in the Scholle cemitary .The cemetary is still in use today my great grandfather buried the frist person there in 1916 and a year later he was the second person to buried. To date the last person to be buried was october,2001.
Posted By: Katha Pohl

Posted: October 17, 2010 2:06 PM MDT
Comments: In reference to the posting regarding the New Home community, is the cemetary you are referring to called Ojo del Llano? If so, I have several relatives buried there. A priest in the Roy, NM parish assisted me by providing the names of those buried there. I would be happy to assist you.
Posted By: Paula Williams

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»