Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Born in New Mexico

Subject: Were You Born in New Mexico?
Posted: July 22, 2005 12:00 AM MDT
Comments: I was born and raised in New Mexico, and I sometimes hear the comment, "You were born here? You are the first person I have met who was born here." I was born in Albuquerque, and I know my family has been here for hundreds of years. I wish I had some information on my family tree, but both sets of grandparents are gone, and both of my parents are not healthy enough to tell me more about our history (my parents are in their 60s). When I am ready to get the information, does anyone know how I go about getting this information without spending a fortune?
Posted By: Cynthia

Subject: Yes....
Posted: July 22, 2005 12:33 AM MDT
Comments: Try the National Hispanic Cultural Center. They have references you can check out for free at the family research center. And someone is usually there to help guide you. All for free!
Posted By: Jeremy Jojola

Subject: Family Trees
Posted: July 22, 2005 3:21 AM MDT
Comments: Either the Archdioses office in Albuquerque has the information (I believe they contracted it out to the Mormon churhc) or the Public Library has information.
Posted By: Gilbert Lucero

Subject: Born In New Mexico
Posted: July 22, 2005 3:22 AM MDT
Comments: I was born and raised in Socorro. I live in Alaska now, but love going back for the food and family. I live in Alaska now and was surprised by how many people from NM live up here.
Posted By: Gilbert Lucero

Subject: My last name
Posted: July 22, 2005 10:31 AM MDT
Comments: I have looked though all kinds of books, literature, etc. and find no mention of the Alcon name. My family dates back to at least the 1800s if not earlier. Where do I go.
Posted By: Eliseo Alcon

Subject: Wasn't born here but will die here.
Posted: July 22, 2005 5:43 PM MDT
Comments: I was not born here but will live here all of my life. I moved here from Missouri but will never again live there. I live in the Four Corners region and love the many cultures present, the weather, the people, and expecially the trout fishing. I am glad that so many people stereotype New Mexico as an atomic testing ground because it will keep them from moving here and ruining this paradise.
Posted By: Derrek Homewood

Subject: Thank You
Posted: July 23, 2005 11:51 AM MDT
Comments: Thank you Jeremy and Gilbert. I will try the National Hispanic Cultural Center first. I was not aware that they had this information.
Posted By: Cynthia

Subject: Born in Albuquerque
Posted: July 23, 2005 11:13 PM MDT
Comments: I was born in Albuquerque in 1953. I've seen the city (and Santa Fe / NM) grow from small towns to what they are today. My grandfather moved to Albuquerque in the early 1940's and had one of the first Italian restaurants in town; Russo's Spaghetti House, at 1326 4th St. SW. He also was involved in many construction projects, as was my father (who was an electrician). I heard stories of Adobe homes on 5 acres of land next to the Rio Grande in Corrales, being sold for $5,200, and how Lead and Coal were dirt roads. The area East of Eubank, and inbetween I-40 and Central was once being sold for anywhere from $6 to $12 per acre. How people drove out of town to get to the NM State Fair Grounds, and there was a long line of cars going up Central for miles. People who didn't want to wait in line would take the 'back way,' Lomas (also a dirt road). I can remember seeing large deer at what is now Comanche and Moris, and when Tramway was one hill after another - all dirt. I used to ride a 'dirt' bike (motorcyle) all over the many trials north of Montgomery. The city ended at Montgomery; everything north of Montgomery was mesa all the way to Sandia pueblo. It's always surprising to me that we don't have enough water to go around, yet we keep building hundreds of new homes each year, and worknig to attract more industry and business. Why (besides tax revenue) are we continuing to try and get bigger? What will we do when there is no more water? I remember my father told me that one day Albuquerque and Bernalillo would connect; but not in our lifetimes. My father and I are both still alive, and you guessed it, we are connected. I imagine one day when we are connected from Los Lunas to Santa Fe...probably not in my lifetime, but you never know.
Posted By: Carmine Russo

Subject: Born in New Mexico
Posted: July 24, 2005 10:46 AM MDT
Comments: I was born in Clovis in 1938 and have lived in New Mexico all my life and do not think that I would be content anywhere else.
Posted By: Richard

Posted: July 24, 2005 2:11 PM MDT
Comments: I was born in Bernalillo I loved the town so much that I go back every year. I still know a lot of people there I'm in LA now but the wars brought me here. Who knows maybe I'll return someday.
Posted By: Joseph B Sena

Subject: Miss the Food
Posted: August 8, 2005 7:26 PM MDT
Comments: I was born and raised in a small northern village known as San Jose. (ST. Josephs) Not a lot to do growing up except for riding your bike and swimming in the Pecos River. I left NM almost 30 years ago. I miss the food the most. There is NOTHING like the food. A Blake's burger, a stuffed sopapilla at Tomasita's. Ah, I'm making my mouth water! The pinon! The NM Pinon is like no other. My son, bless his heart, attemtps to send me some of the best of NM. (thanks jeremy)Anyway, I found this site by accident and thought I'd pitch in my two cents!
Posted By: Linda Blea Armijo

Subject: Researching New Mexico families
Posted: August 12, 2005 11:06 AM MDT
Comments: There are many out there trying to find their roots here in New Mexico. You should try the New Mexico Genealogical Website - www.nmgs.org - and contact them for ideas for research. Another great research facility is in Albuquerque at the Special Collections Library on Edith and Central. If your family is Hispanic and goes back to the 1700s in the "US," at least 85% came through New Mexico before going to California, Arizona, Colorado, and other places. With the records that both the Archdiocese of Santa Fe and the New Mexico State Archives saved and are available, it is much easier to do research for Hispanic families. The history of New Mexico is so rich with the daily struggles of the early Hispanic settlers and Native Americans. It is a shame that we did not learn all of this in our New Mexico History classes that we took in High School and College years ago. But when researching your families, you will get a "bird's eye view" of true New Mexico history.
Posted By: Nancy

Subject: Born here!
Posted: October 4, 2005 3:04 PM MDT
Comments: I was born here, In grant County, NM. There is a great library in Albuquerque, the Special Collections Geneological Society Library on Edith and Central that has a ton of information and census and immigration records on microfilm. That's a great place to poke in to.
Posted By: Annette

Subject: New Mexico history
Posted: January 11, 2006 9:59 PM MST
Comments: I was born in Tucumcari in 1958. My family moved to California in 1960. We used to come back every summer for vacation. I never realized how much history there is here. I moved back here in August 2005. I have been learning about New Mexico history and other things I never took the time to notice before. I am amazed and am enjoying it a very much.
Posted By: Marsha Bogart

Subject:
Posted: July 8, 2006 7:58 PM MDT
Comments: http://www.hgrc-nm.org/ The absolute best site and organization for New Mexicans.
Posted By: Preciliano Martin'

Subject:
Posted: July 25, 2006 7:23 PM MDT
Comments: I am 50 years old now, live in El Paso, and am looking for the place where my Dad was born and where he could have gone to school. The mystery is that he was born in a place that no longer exists, or maybe never existed. In his birth certificate he names a place called N. Guam New Mexico in McKinley County. He used to tell my older brothers that he went to school somewhere close to this place where he was born. I would like to know if there are any school records that would tell me a little more about where he went to school and for how long. There is so much that I would like to know about my Father's side of the family. My Grandfather had a brother that lived in NM by the name of Juan Soto Duron. I believe Juan's descendants still live in NM, though I have never met them. Any information about the above would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Jacinto Soto Ruiz

Subject:
Posted: August 1, 2006 7:00 PM MDT
Comments: I am looking for the name and location of a restaurant owned by my parents in 1948 in Albuquerque
Posted By: Betty

Subject:
Posted: October 4, 2006 6:02 PM MDT
Comments: My Mother was born in Monero, NM. I have traced our roots back to the 1600. She comes from the surname of Valdez (Valdes). While going back on the male line, I would sometimes wander off to the female side. I believe I found a Grandmother born on the Mescalero Indian reservation. As a child she was baptized Catholic and given the spanish name of Maria Paula Duran. I learned it was a common pratice for the priests to give their own surnames to the converts. This particular information was gathered while I was in New Mexico at the archives in Santa Fe, however I live in Washington State. Does anyone know how to access reservation census' on line? I really want to confirm that the Maria Paula listed on the reservation was indeed "our" Ma Paula. I cannot wait to return to the land of enchantment. I have traveled and I love New Mexico the best by far! I live in Washington, but my heart lives in New Mexico with my ancestors.
Posted By: Allyce

Subject: Yes
Posted: March 9, 2008 8:22 AM MDT
Comments: Born here in 1960 and have picked my spot in family cemetary to be buried here I've not ever heard "You are the first person I have met who was " what I have heard more times than I care to count is " New Mexico ? is that in the USA ? one guy said " oh yeah NM I've been there all the people are really poor and the kids all try to wash your windows if you stop at a light ,, I useally just follow the " I'm from NM with 'it's the state between Tex and arizona so the DUH questions don't happen ,,,lol
Posted By: Katha

Subject: Rowe, New Mexico
Posted: April 29, 2009 1:39 PM MDT
Comments: Anyone here from Rowe?
Posted By: Preciliano Martin

Subject: First generation NOT born in NM
Posted: October 23, 2009 2:43 PM MDT
Comments: So far as I know at this time, the first family member born in NM was born in Santa Fe around 1636. Since then, I was the first generation NOT born in New Mexico. The Special Collections Library in Albuquerque provided the resources to find much of my family history.
Posted By: W. Garcia

Posted: December 28, 2009 11:04 PM MST
Comments: I was born in Tucumcari, New Mexico but lived in Corazon, New Mexico. Ed is my brother. My Grandparents were Lorenzo Gonzales and Aurelia Lucero. My parents were Lorenzo Gonzales, Jr. and Pilar Madrid. I live in California
Posted By: Celia

Subject: From New Mexico
Posted: October 2, 2012 11:57 AM MDT
Comments: My family, Salaiz/Alvillar lived in Santa Rita, NM & Silver City area. Ruiz family lived in La Mesilla area. Would love to hear from people with those surnames who may still be alive.
Posted By: Magdalena

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»