Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Future of New Mexico

Subject: Future of New Mexico
Posted: July 22, 2005 10:58 AM MDT
Comments: What is the future of New Mexico. We live in a dry land with limited water, yet we prosper. I think our future lies in science and technology. We already are well based for these programs. We are the home of Sandia National Laboratories and Los Alamos National Labs, two of the premier scientific establishments in the United States. The yellow pages are filled with technology companies. That is our route to the future.
Posted By: Bob Prestridge

Subject: Future of New Mexico
Posted: August 1, 2005 12:13 AM MDT
Comments: The future of New Mexico is inextricably linked to the use and ultimately conservation of water. Today, our cities and industry account for only 15 percent of water use in New Mexico, while approximately 75 percent goes to agriculture. Runoff and perculation from irrigation, salinate our precious ground water and pesticides pollute our rivers (this with the tacit approval of the current administration in Washington, which changed the language of the Clean Water Act making it applicable only to navigable waterways). Unfortunately, water law is long standing and very difficult to ammend, due to its nature of first come first served, but if we are to survive and prosper generations into the future, especially in the face of climate change seen at present in the form of a continued drying of an already arid region, water conservation, and reallocation must be considered by well- reasoned people with foresight and good intention.
Posted By: Andrew M. Landwerlen

Subject: Future
Posted: September 29, 2005 3:17 PM MDT
Comments: I believe we need to be doing more about the water that we barely have here in New Mexico. People underestamate water here, they still believe that we have Lake Michagin. We have a very limited source and there should be a bill or law stating our limit on water use. I would really liked to live here in a few years and that's not going to be possible unless we start doing something!

I believe we need to be doing more about the water that we barely have here in New Mexico. People underestamate water here, they still believe that we have Lake Michagin. We have a very limited source and there should be a bill or law stating our limit on water use. I would really liked to live here in a few years and that's not going to be possible unless we start doing something!1

I believe we need to be doing more about the water that we barely have here in New Mexico. People underestamate water here, they still believe that we have Lake Michagin. We have a very limited source and there should be a bill or law stating our limit on water use. I would really liked to live here in a few years and that's not going to be possible unless we start doing something!2

I believe we need to be doing more about the water that we barely have here in New Mexico. People underestamate water here, they still believe that we have Lake Michagin. We have a very limited source and there should be a bill or law stating our limit on water use. I would really liked to live here in a few years and that's not going to be possible unless we start doing something!3

I believe we need to be doing more about the water that we barely have here in New Mexico. People underestamate water here, they still believe that we have Lake Michagin. We have a very limited source and there should be a bill or law stating our limit on water use. I would really liked to live he
Posted By:

Subject:
Posted: July 22, 2006 4:41 PM MDT
Comments: I was just re-reading Gloria Anzaldua's conclusion to "This Bridge We Call Home: Radical Visions for Transformation." There is a passage that made me think of the postings I read on this site a few weeks ago. Anzaldua writes: We are experiencing a personal, global identity crisis in a disintegrating social order that possesses little heart and functions to oppress people by organizing them hierarchies of commerce and power -- a collusion of government, transnational industry, business, and the military all liked by a pragmatic technology and science voracious for money and control. This system and its hierarchies impact people's lives in concrete and devastating ways and justify a sliding scale of human worth used to keep humankind divided. It condones the mind theft, spirit murder, exploitation and genocide de los otros. We are collectively conditioned no to know that every comfort of our lives is acquired with the blood of conquered, subjugated, enslaved, or exterminated people, an exploitation that continues today. (541) The future of New Mexico is not technology; it is ohkay owingeh/gente. People, who are willing to take an honest look at the systems that are interacting in our state and revise the institutional injustices that elevate few (usually non-Native New Mexicans) and keep many (Natives, Chicanas/os, for the most part) subjugated, are going to the key to New Mexico's future. Our state's legacy of the atomic bomb, one which was imposed on Native folk, is not a legacy to be proud of. But we have cultural knowledge to help redeem these problematic legacies and make them into something valuable, perhaps a resurgence of Native and Chicana/o centered education for our state's children? Ojala que si.
Posted By: Manita del Norte

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»