Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Chaperito

Subject: Chaperito
Posted: November 25, 2005 11:14 PM MST
Comments: My first recollections as a child were with my Grandparents in the community of Chaperito NM. It was a small ranching and farming community about 30 miles east of Las Vegas. I had to come to live in Las Vegas with my parents and the rest of my family when I was six years-old because the school in Chaperito had been closed for lack of a teacher. I realize now, as an adult, what a treasure we lost when Chaperito was sold, and its inhabitants were forced to give up their homes and their history along with it. My children will never experience life as I did in that beautiful place where the roots of many Las Vegans originated. I can tell them about it, but it's not the same. I can't even take them there to show them what is left of the community. I would love to hear from anyone else who has roots there so we can share.
Posted By: M.V. Garduno

Subject: La Liendre Road
Posted: December 7, 2005 9:28 PM MST
Comments: We recently formed a La Liendre Road Association dedicated to preserving the road down to La Liendre, from which it is possible to visit the ruins of Chaperito. We are hoping to plan fundraising outings to the cemetery there, possibly in the spring. Please contact me for further details.
Posted By: G. Teekell

Subject: La Liendre
Posted: December 11, 2005 3:26 PM MST
Comments: G. Teekel, I am delighted to get your response. I will be happy to help with the fundraising efforts in some way. Some of my ancestors also originated in La Liendre, so I have an interest in many of the surrounding areas as well.

Subject: contact
Posted: December 28, 2005 2:01 PM MST
Comments: Please constact me at Gwenpoet@aol.com for further conversation.
Posted By: Gwen Teekell

Subject: La Liendre
Posted: January 15, 2006 3:52 PM MST
Comments: My father was born and raised in the La Liendre/Chaperito area. Please keep me posted on any future events. I'm very interested. J. LaRose
Posted By: Juanita Lucero-LaRose

Subject: photos of Chaperito
Posted: January 26, 2006 1:44 PM MST
Comments: Do You have any photos of Chaperito when it was an active township. Also the history of the town who purchased it etc. I have family from Chaperito and Anton Chico.
Posted By: Mike Young

Subject:
Posted: February 28, 2006 9:07 PM MST
Comments: My great grandfather had the general store in Chaperito (Sostenes Delgado) and my grandmother was raised there. I would love to know more about it. I hope to visit Chapertio in april if I can get someone in Las Vegas to help me locate the ruins.
Posted By: dawn martinez

Subject:
Posted: March 15, 2006 7:36 PM MST
Comments: Please send mailing addresses to me at Gwenpoet@aol.com and I will get a copy of the first La Liendre Rd. Asso. newsletter to you, as well as work toward establishing more history and geneology of the area with anyone who is interested
Posted By: Gwen

Subject:
Posted: April 3, 2006 6:57 PM MDT
Comments: Mike Young, google Chaperito Images and there is one image there of a whole bunch of kids in front of the schoolhouse.
Posted By: Preciliano Martin

Subject:
Posted: April 8, 2006 12:17 PM MDT
Comments: J. La Rose, My maternal and paternal great-grandparents, were raised in the Chaperito area, with many other extensions living in La Liendre and the surrounding communities. My great-grandfather descends from the Lucero's in Chaperito as well. He was married to an Ortega. It would be interesting to know if we are in the same Lucero family. My other ancestors are Garduno, Ortega, Montano, Garcia, Aragon, Martin (just to begin with). If you have some interest in exploring this let me know so that we can exchange info.

Subject:
Posted: April 8, 2006 12:26 PM MDT
Comments: Hi Dawn, I am familiar with some of the Delgado's, and as a matter of fact, some are included in my maternal ancestry. When in April do you plan to visit? There is not much left of Chaperito, and it may be difficult to enter the area since it is now privately owned. I also have a wish to visit there soon. I would like to go to the cemetery where a brother and sister are buried, if I can still find the cemetery.

Subject:
Posted: April 8, 2006 12:39 PM MDT
Comments: Mike Young, As P. Martin replied, the school picture is online. I have only some old family photos taken at my grandparents' home when we were toddlers. Hopefully, someone with same interest can share photos of the community in its heyday. I was there in the late forties - early fifties when the population had started to dwindle. I believe that it was sold sometime between 1955 and 1959. I don't know to whom it was sold, but I guess with some research we could find out. Keep in touch.

Subject:
Posted: April 8, 2006 12:57 PM MDT
Comments: Hi Dawn, I am familiar with some of the Delgado's, and as a matter of fact, some are included in my maternal ancestry. When in April do you plan to visit? There is not much left of Chaperito, and it may be difficult to enter the area since it is now privately owned. I also have a wish to visit there soon. One of my brothers is more familiar with the area and he said he could take me there. I would like to go to the cemetery where a brother and sister are buried, if I can still find the cemetery. Keep in touch.

Subject:
Posted: April 23, 2006 7:14 PM MDT
Comments: My mother and her family are from Chaparito, trying to track down more info. NEED Help. Thanks
Posted By: joe

Subject:
Posted: April 27, 2006 12:10 PM MDT
Comments: I would be happy to set up a field trip to Chaparito Cemetery. I live in the area, know how to get there, and have permission from the land owner. The town is really in ruins, yet the cemetery is accessible. Anyone interested, please email me at Gwenpoet@aol.com and we can set up a time

Subject:
Posted: May 31, 2006 1:45 PM MDT
Comments: My father George Garduno 93 still living his grandmother Pablita Velarde Garduno his father Jose Guadulupe and uncle Munuel need info about the family she was buried in las vegas Nm
Posted By: Priscilla garduno

Subject:
Posted: June 16, 2006 2:21 PM MDT
Comments: I would like to hear from anyone who would know family history about Jose Garduno born 3-19-1888 and his family. He is the son of Gregorio Garduno and Maria Garcia.
Posted By: Patricia Moore

Subject:
Posted: June 16, 2006 2:23 PM MDT
Comments: pmoore4889@aol.com Please email if you have info on the Garduno family. Thanks
Posted By: Patricia Moore

Subject:
Posted: July 18, 2006 5:29 PM MDT
Comments: P. Moore, I have never lived in New Mexico but I do extensive research concerning NM families. I have compiled all of the Chaperito Census from 1860-1930, my Lucero ancestors were from Chaperito. I did a look up and there are some Garduno's in the census. There is also a Gregorio Garduno but the dates do not match. Contact me at v_estrada2000@hotmail.com maybe I can help you. Any Lucero's out there that would be interested in comparing notes. I am at a brick wall and looking for Phillipe Felis Lucero, father of Pedro Lucero, Francisco Lucero, Jose Encarnacion Lucero (my great grandfather-moved to Rocky Ford, Co, 1900's) and Lucrecio Lucero
Posted By: Severa Chavez Estrada

Subject:
Posted: July 22, 2006 4:07 AM MDT
Comments: My family is from Chaperito. Today, I finally got to visit the Cemetary. Very easy to get to. Approx. 25 miles from Las Vegas. I took lot's of pictures. Planning to go back and catolog all the Grave markers as it appears no one has done it. Severa Chavez Estrada, I would like to compare notes.
Posted By: Ricardo Lucero

Subject:
Posted: July 22, 2006 9:36 AM MDT
Comments: My family is from Chaperito. Today, I finally got to visit the Cemetary. Very easy to get to. Approx. 25 miles from Las Vegas. I took lot's of pictures. Planning to go back and catolog all the Grave markers as it appears no one has done it. Severa Chavez Estrada, I would like to compare notes.
Posted By: Ricardo Lucero

Subject:
Posted: August 22, 2006 4:40 PM MDT
Comments: My Father was born in Chaperito on Dec 6, 1922. His Parents were Agapito Angel Garcia and Dorotea Maes de Garcia. Any info at all would be appreciated. We are planning a family trip for next July and plan on visiting the area if possible. If anyone has photos that they could email to us would be wonderful!
Posted By: Dave Garcia

Subject:
Posted: August 26, 2006 4:41 PM MDT
Comments: My G-aunt was baptised there....where could I find her Catholic Church Records
Posted By: Manuel

Subject:
Posted: August 26, 2006 4:42 PM MDT
Comments: My G-aunt was baptised there....where could I find her Catholic Church Records
Posted By: Manuel

Subject:
Posted: September 24, 2006 11:26 AM MDT
Comments: I am woundering if anyone knows my Grand ma Adline Lucero that lives in rocky ford,colorado including my dad Ralph Diesado Lucero.Also do I have any relatives elsewhere?
Posted By: Ralph Lucero

Subject:
Posted: November 5, 2006 8:11 PM MST
Comments: My paternal Grandfather Bebedicto Apodaca, and Grandmother Desideria (Pacheco) Apodaca lived in these areas and left in 1920 for Brighton, Colorado. My Maternal Grandparents were Jose Trinidad Romero and Maria Teresina Gallegos Romero who might have lived in that area as well. They settled in San Luis Valley, Colorado in the late 1800-moved to San luis in 1900's. I know that the Apodaca family was one of the original 12 founding familes of Albuquerque, and El Paso back when they were initially settled after the Pueblo uprising...and they eventually settled in La Canada area under the name of Jose Gonzaalez de Apodaca (1656) and were present when the church was built in 1710. My Paternal Grandmother Desideria Pacheco was allegedly born in Hilarito, NM but we can not find any birth certificates or baptism from any of the surrounding areas. If anyone could help with any information, I would be so grateful...I spent three weeks Christmas of 2005 in Albuquerque at the Geneaological society researching the family but kept running into dead-ends on Desideria and some of the earlier (1830) Romero's. My e-mail is bflobrth1@sbcglobal.net. Please correspond with me. Paul Apodaca, Champaign, Illinois
Posted By: Paul Joseph Apodaca

Subject:
Posted: November 5, 2006 9:54 PM MST
Comments: I am looking for Madrid & Garcia famlies of or from Chaperito. Gregorio Madrid & Juanita Sanchez for starters
Posted By: Joe

Subject:
Posted: December 4, 2006 5:13 PM MST
Comments: My Father was born in Chaperito on Dec 6, 1922. His Parents were Agapito Angel Garcia and Dorotea Maes de Garcia. Any info at all would be appreciated. We are planning a family trip for next July and plan on visiting the area if possible. If anyone has photos that they could email to us would be wonderful! --Dave Garcia August 26, 2006 4:41 PM EDT Mr. Garcia, I am interested in learning more about you family, my grandfather married into the Garcia Family. He married Maria Gregorita Garcia, she died young. However my father close to the Garcia family from Variadero New Mexico.
Posted By: Simon Padilla

Subject:
Posted: December 6, 2006 4:07 PM MST
Comments: Dave Garcia my name is Paul garcia my dads name was Jose Ruperto Garcia and he had a brother named Agapito. I found some information that I obtained from Francisco Garcia's daughter i have talked to her and she has given me permission to share it
Posted By: Paul Garcia

Subject:
Posted: December 6, 2006 6:13 PM MST
Comments: Hello, I also have family roots in all the surrounding areas, the Chavez family and the Roybal family...anyone with info let me know...
Posted By: Teresa

Posted: February 12, 2007 5:59 AM MST
Comments: Hello, I\'m extremely happy to hear that there are lots of people interested in Chaperito. My grandma and grandpa were from there. We visited the village of Chaperito in the late 60\\\'s and I remember that there were people still living there. I have a picture of my grandmother in front of the school there along with several other children. I would love to share this picture with anyone that is interested. When I would go to visit New Mexico in the 80\\\'s my brother and I would always take a road trip and visit the cemetary, schoolhouse and ruins. I don\\\'t visit New Mexico often and have told my son many, many family stories to instill pride in our rich New Mexico heritage. We drove to Chaperito last spring and we were extremely disappointed to find a lock on the fence. I could see the school house. I was so close and yet so far. I would be interested in hearing more about the LaLiedre Rd. Association and will write to Gwen to sign up for the newsletter. Sincerely, Anita
Posted By: Anita Gomez

Posted: April 5, 2007 3:43 AM MDT
Comments: My mother's family came from the Chaperito-La Liendre-Las Lajas area. If anyone knows anything about the Quintana or Fresquez families, please let me know.
Posted By: Helena Quintana

Posted: April 6, 2007 9:15 PM MDT
Comments: Wow this is great. My father Ventura Garcia was born in Chaperito on July 19th 1920. His father was Jesus Garcia and his mother was Anastacia. It was a family of 6. Lorenzo, Ventura, Bacilia, Teresa, Isabel, and Rudolfo. I know we are related to the Garduno and the Lucero family. They moved to California in the 50\'s. Before Jesus Garcia married Anastacia I was told he was married before and there are several half brothers and maybe sisters. My father tried to locate them but never found them. My father was friends with some of the Lucero Family. The Luceros were a large family. The ones I know are Margarito, Vidal, Benito, Tina, Florencio, and there are more. My brothers and sisters wanted to travel to New Mexico to find Chaperito but we were told there are signs of no trespass. I would like to know who owns the land. I know I am coming in a late on these conversations but this is exciting to me. My father passed away in 1992 and I never knew my grandparents nor my cousins in California or Colorado (my tia Bacilia lives there) Any comments or chat is welcome.
Posted By: Susie Buttram

Subject: Catholic Church Records for Chaperito
Posted: April 12, 2007 10:37 PM MDT
Comments: http://www.nmgs.org/chrchs-cities.htm Locating Church Records in New Mexico. http://www.nmoca.org/CuartoCentenario/sanjuangovernor.html Mission/Parish: San Ysidro el Labrador. Location: Chaperito. Bapt. 1876-1891 - FHL 1930437. Bapt. Index 1886-1891 - FHL 1930437. Marr. 1876-1898 - FHL 1930437. Deaths Index 1885-1908 - FHL 1930437. This county is within the Catholic Archdiocese of Santa Fe. You can find the microfilm and obtain microfilm from FamilySearch.org Click on Family History Library Catalog. 5th name down is Film/Fiche Search. This is the website for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. They have libraries all over the country. Their website is free for genealogy searches. You do not have to Mormon to use their website or libraries. They welcome everyone and they do not try to convert you. Film Codes: (For locations of the research facilities, see Records.) AASF: Archives of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe. FHL : Catholic church records filmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). San Miguel County was one of the seven original partidos established under the Republic of Mexico in 1844, and became a U.S. county on January 9, 1852. It was named for the town of San Miguel del Bado (Saint Michael of the Ford), a fording place on the Pecos River on the Old Santa Fe Trail. The original county included the territory between Taos, Santa Fe, and Bernalillo counties. The San Miguel County Courthouse address is: San Miguel County Courthouse, Las Vegas, NM, 87701. Phone (505) 425-9331; FAX (505) 425-7019. Civil marriage records November 11, 1888 through May 16, 1952 are housed at the County courthouse and may be searched there. To our knowledge, these county records have not been recorded on microfilm. Marriage certificates 1912-1914 are available at the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives in Santa Fe. Most Catholic church records are available on microfilm, and volunteers have extracted, translated, and published many of those records with indexes. Click on the links below to see which other books are already available from these two societies: New Mexico Genealogical Society (NMGS) (www.nmgs.org/books.htm) Hispanic Genealogical Research Center (HGRC-NM) (www.hgrc-nm.org/saleitms/pubs&oth.h New Mexico Genealogical Society, PO Box 8283, Albuquerque, NM 87198-8283 http://www.trementina.com/trementina%20history.htm Trementina http://www.trementina.com/index.html Home Page http://www.trementina.com/Research.htm Chaperito, New Mexico Death Records 1885-1908 http://www.trementina.com/chaperito_burials.htm Chaperito Burials, 1885-1908 New Mexico Archives Roll 96 http://www.hgrc-nm.org/saleitms/pubs&oth.htm Baptisms B14. Chaperito 1876-1891 ($40 + $6 postage) Marriages M4. Chaperito Aug 1876 - Dec 1898 ($35 + $6 postage) I am not associated with any of these websites. I am only a researcher who located the sites. I not not familiar with Chaperito and have never been to NM. Good luck.
Posted By: Karen Rourk

Posted: June 25, 2007 3:08 PM MDT
Comments: My family is from the village of Chaperito. Urioste/Garduno. I have been able to locate information on the Urioste side of the family and some on the Garduno side. However, I have not been able to find any information on my great grandmother's side. Her maiden name was Petra Pacheco and she was born in the late 1890's. Please if anyone has any information on the Pacheco's please email me. I am also interested in obtaining any photos of Chaperito. Anyone have some they would like to share? gillte2@juno.com
Posted By:

Subject: Garduno's
Posted: August 15, 2007 2:03 AM MDT
Comments: I was pleasantly surprised to read how many people have roots in Chaperito. My family (Sena) also has Garduno blood. Can anyone help me with an Altagracia Garduno md to Juan Sena or a josefa Garduno married to a Juan A. Ortega whose daughter Paz Ortega was married to Apolonio Sena who maybe taught school in Chaperito?? Thanks for anything you might contribute
Posted By: Nick Sena

Subject: Visiting
Posted: September 3, 2007 9:31 PM MDT
Comments: I was in Chaparito in August. There truly is not too much left. The cemetery is fascinating with all of the wonderful headstone art. If you get to the locked gate, they want you to have access, but just like your backyard, they want to know who is there and when. Contact the Singleton Ranch http://www.singletonranches.com/ and they will hook you up with the guy who has the key. For those of us not too familiar with traveling the back country of the Canadian Escarpment, I have hard won advice. If you got stuck out there you could be in some trouble. It can be hair-raising to drive in a rainstorm on those adobe roads because the county doesn't maintain them like they are supposed to so we can have safe access to Chaparito. Go in the daylight and watch for afternoon rain. If you do get lost, stick to the roads. Oh, the cemetery is kind of overgrown, so watch for rattlers.
Posted By: Retta Edling

Posted: April 13, 2008 10:44 PM MDT
Comments: Greetings all I just found this site and am excited. Some of my Familia is from Chaperito. My Great Grandmother Melecia Duran was Married to Sostenes Delgado. I do have a photograph of the Chaperito School with children standing in front, one of which is Melecia Delgado. I would Love to hear from relations from Chaperito and La Liendre. Ncedillom@aol.com
Posted By: Eric Sedillos

Subject: Roads to Chaperito?
Posted: September 5, 2008 5:28 PM MDT
Comments: I live in Tucson, Arizona and would like to visit Liendre and Chaperito. What roads do I need to take to get to Liendre and Chaperito from Las Vegas? My anestors, the Romo, Archibeque Benavides, and Lopez lived in this area. My grandfather, Alejandro Romo was born in La Concepcion (Los Jacales).
Posted By: Lorenzo R. Valdez

Subject: Maldonados of Chaperito
Posted: September 5, 2008 5:31 PM MDT
Comments: Hello I noticed your comments regarding Chaperito Ne Mexico. I have been working on a family tree and have found out I have a great, great Grand father that was born in Chaperito. His name was Cesario Maldonado and was born in 1850. I\\\'m trying to figure out who his parents were and if he has any other relatives in the area. I know he later lived in Las Vegas New Mexico and passed away there. If anyone has any information regarding any Maldonado\\\'s in Chaperito Please contact me. MIKE mikestrek@hotmail.com
Posted By: Mike

Subject: Census of Chaperito?
Posted: September 5, 2008 5:35 PM MDT
Comments: any census or other info on this place would be appreciated. I have relatives that lived there many years ago and am very interested. I think my grand mother is buried there I know my great grandparents are. I was told they are at the entrance of the cemetery
Posted By: R

Subject: Luceros in Chaperito
Posted: September 5, 2008 5:36 PM MDT
Comments: I know its been a while but I read your blog and I think I know all the luceros you mention
Posted By: R.

Subject: Local info
Posted: September 17, 2008 8:07 PM MDT
Comments: I live close to Chaperito, have an interest in doing genology look ups for folks whose ancestors lived out here, and can provide info and directions to the area ruins for anyone interested in emailing me: Gwenpoet@aol.com I\'m hoping to find old photos of the towns of El Aguilar, La Liendre, Concepcion, Los Torres and Chaperito, if anyone has any they\'re willing to share copies of, please email

Subject: Local info
Posted: November 17, 2008 12:56 AM MST
Comments: I am a newcomer here ( Las Vegas) however, I was born in Spain and everything related to Spanish settlements in Nuevo Mejico interest me. I have been to La Liendre yesterday and I found it fascinating. MY creative mind soar over the ruins. I couldn't find anything in Cahaperito. My interest is in phtographically and testimonially recording these places before they disappear altogetehr
Posted By: Antonio J Valdes

Posted: November 24, 2008 5:54 PM MST
Comments: Hello,I too,have roots in Chaperito NM. My maternal grandmother Estefanita Apodaca was born there in app.1895. Her mothers name was Nesrora Apodaca. Her mother supposedly died when my grandmother was a child and her aunt Dolores raised her. I\'m pretty sure that my great-grandmother was not married to the man who fathered my grandmother. According to family tradition her father was Telesfor Lucero, who was one of the sons of Lucrecio Lucero and Francisca Apodaca. Telesfor Lucero is the name on my grandmothers death certificate as being her father. I\'m not sure when Estefanita left Chaperito but they moved to Las Vegas I think when she was a teenager. Lucrecio moved his family to Las Animas Colorado in the late 1800s or the early 1900s. He died 23Mar1929 and is buried in Las Animas. I have a copy of his death certificate and it lists his mothers maiden name as Creciana Marquez. In May of 2006 I was visiting the Las Vegas area and I had always wanted to find Chaperito, so I hired a local guy with a 4wheel drive pick-up to take me looking for it. Well after about 11/2 hours or so we met up with a guy who works on the ranch where Chaperito is and he gave us directions to get there. We never did find anything that even resembled a road, we simply drove over the least bumpy terrain that we could see. It was a white knuckle drive. We finally got there and I was amazed at how well preserved it is. We drove up to the cemetary and walked around it. There are still some houses standing and I figured that the bigger building closest to the cemetary was the church. I felt very emotional just imagining my grandmother running and playing all around the area as a kid. I didn\'t get to look around too long because the weather was threatening to rain on us. If anyone has any information about my Apodaca relatives please e-mail me at arellath@netzero.net. Thanks
Posted By:

Posted: March 7, 2009 3:45 PM MST
Comments: I have recently found out that my great grandfather Benigno Maes was married in Chaperito to Maria Timotea Jiminez (Jimines) daughter of Leandro Jiminez (Jimines) and Maria Vencelesde Griego on 4 July 1898. Benigno Maes son of Jose Maria Maes and Jesusa Armijo. Benigno & Maria Timoteo show up in Sabinoso in the 1900 census. Would love any information any one has on any of these families and will share what I have. contact me at themaesfamily@gmail.com
Posted By: Heather

Posted: September 2, 2009 7:14 PM MDT
Comments: My family had lived in Chaperito from the 1750\'s till it was sold. Im looking for infomation about the Saiz and Aragon family if you have any please let me know. Also M.V. Garduno I think your about my mothers age I would like to exchange info My email is scarmickey@yahoo.com
Posted By: M Will

Subject: Chaperito in the 1750's
Posted: September 6, 2009 7:14 PM MDT
Comments: Id did not exist until the 1840's. There was nothing there in the 1700's
Posted By:

Posted: September 13, 2009 4:53 PM MDT
Comments: I apologize for the typing error--I intended to type in 1870\'s--Thanks
Posted By: m will

Posted: December 28, 2009 11:15 PM MST
Comments: Look under San Miguel County, New Mexico Catholic Churches to find the Church in Chaperito. San Ysidro el Labrador Chaperito Bapt. 1876-1891 FHL 1930437 Bapt. Index 1886-1891 FHL 1930437 Marr. 1876-1898 FHL 1930437 Deaths Index 1885-1908 FHL 1930437
Posted By: Celia

Posted: December 28, 2009 11:18 PM MST
Comments: To find New Mexico genealogy to to Hispanic Genealogy Research Center and to to Data Base. (HGRC OF NEW MEXICO)
Posted By: Celia

Posted: September 10, 2010 1:58 PM MDT
Comments: I visited Chaperito Cemetery this summer. It was wonderful! I'm was very excited to finally be there. I have waited for years for the opportunity. I took about 20 pictures of tombstones as well as video and pictures of the ruins in front of the cemetery. Unfortunately we couldn't go any further, I would have loved to cross the bridge and explore the village ruins on the west bank of the Gallinas river. So many memories, so long ago! I also have photos of my grandmother who was a teacher there in about 1930-32 in front to the school with several children that I have finally scanned and uploaded to my Flickr website. As well as a letter from my great-uncle Eulalio Gomez describing landmarks, geographical features of an area "y como tu saves que between Villa Nueva and Chaperito" and describes forts as well as tombstone moved to Santa Fe in about 1920 when he was a young man. The letter was typed by him in 1977. I would like to share photos and information with others if there is any interest.
Posted By: Anita Gomez

Posted: September 14, 2010 12:44 PM MDT
Comments: Comments: It has only been after my father's death that a little bit of information has come to light about his family. It is my understanding that he grew up under his grandmother's care in Chaperito. I have only a name: Valeria Garcia; and a little bit of family lore: "She had about a dozen children, was estremely religious"... and serious about education, sending her kids to the Catholic school." One of her daughters, Maria Trinidad Garcia, is my paternal grandmother (my dad: Abel Carlos Florez 9born 1928, Phoenix, AZ), had two older brothers, Antonio and pasqual. Their dad, Emilio disappeared and Maria Trinidad remarried a Torres (in Dona Ana county?). I believe she died giving birth to a daughter, who servived. That is when my dad went to live with Valeria. Valeria lived at least until 1945. She refused to allow my dad to join the army until his 17 birthday (in 1945). She could have lived well into the 60s. I have a dim memory, probably from around 1965 of visiting family a farm house and a small general store on a visit to "Las Vegas" I know now that we we must have been in Chaperito, not the "big city" of Las Vegas. If any one has info on Valerio Garcia, please post, or contact me via email: acflorez@sonalyst.com
Posted By: Abraham Florez

Posted: September 22, 2010 8:30 AM MDT
Comments: New information on Maria Trinidad Garcia: Her daughter was named Marta Torres and was a little girl when Maria Trinidad died. Marta was raised by Valeria (not Valerio, error in my original post) along with my dad Abel. As a young lady (teen?) Marta lived with her half-brother Pasqual (my uncle Pat). This is a correction to my original post: Contact email acflorez@sonalysts.com
Posted By: Abraham Florez

Subject: chaperito
Posted: September 29, 2010 10:16 AM MDT
Comments: Marta lived with us for several years when she was in her early 20s when my dad Pascual was stationed in Iowa. Your uncle Tony will have more specific info.
Posted By: carl florez

Posted: May 30, 2013 12:10 AM MDT
Comments: I was able to visit the cemetary and found grave marker for my great Aunt. Wonderful experience. My family is Archuleta/Pacheco and Archuleta/Lucero any pictures would be appeciated. amsierra4806@gmail.com thank you.
Posted By: anita99

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»