Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Uņa de Gato

Subject: Uņa de Gatp
Posted: February 28, 2008 10:29 AM MST
Comments: In researching my wife's family history, I encountered an unfamiliar place name in a 1844 marriage record. The place name is Uņa de Gato, and it is described as being north of Santa Fe. Does anyone have any information on the location of this place?
Posted By: Bob

Subject: Una de Gato
Posted: March 4, 2008 12:00 PM MST
Comments: There are two areas that are listed as Una de Gato in the book, "The Place names of New Mexico" by Robert Julyan, where all of this information can be found. One is in Sandoval County, 1 mi south of Hagan and 5 mi east of Placitas. However, I think the one you may be referring to is in Colfax county, 13 mi SE of Raton and N of US 64-65. This former settlement is named for being on Una de Gato creek. Una de Gata is spanich for "cat's claw," which is a colloquialism for the catclaw acacia, whose curved thorns resemble a cat's claws.
Posted By: Jen

Subject: Colfax County
Posted: April 10, 2008 10:39 PM MDT
Comments: Check the Philmont Scout Ranch. La Una de Gato is a formation there. Spanish/Mexican folks living in the area named it.
Posted By: Preciliano

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»