Discussion Forum

TOPIC: El Paso del Norte

Subject: El Paso del Norte
Posted: April 24, 2009 4:26 PM MDT
Comments: I noticed under your places, you list El Paso del Norte. Was not the actual title of this town, Paso del Norte, which was later split up into the two towns which became El Paso and Cuidad Juarez? The place you list as El Paso del Norte appears a bit mislading since it suggests that the town included "El" in its name, when it was part of Mexico when, as I understand it, the name of that town was Paso del Norte, meaning the crossing, and not the pass as some people have come to believe. Thank you for your thoughts/insights in advance
Posted By: Roberto

Subject: El Paseo del Norte
Posted: September 13, 2009 8:21 PM MDT
Comments: Leon Metz would be the best to check with, but as my title states the correct spelling, I hope, was actually the pass that the sister cities of El Paso and Ciudad Juarez now reside.
Posted By: Byron

Subject: El Paso del Norte
Posted: September 24, 2009 1:28 PM MDT
Comments: 1848 - George Ruxton publishes book on trip through New Mexico I have sent Leon Metz an email on the meaning of El Paso and await his response. Meanwhile the following reference, undoubtedley based on earlier Spanish settlers and explorers referred to this site as the crossing (for the Rio Bravo--now known as thge Rio Grande, and not as the pass between the mountains as many have come to believe. See reference BY GEORGE FREDERICK RUXTON CHAPTER I OUT OF OLD MEXICO CHAPTER II THE JOURNEY OF THE DEAD EL PASO DEL NORTE, so called from the ford of that river, which is here first struck and crossed on the way to New Mexico, is the oldest settlement in Northern Mexico, a mission having been established there by el Padre Fray Augustine Ruiz, one of the Franciscan monks who first visited New Mexico, as early as the close of the sixteenth century (about the year 1585).
Posted By: Roberto

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»