Discussion Forum

TOPIC: Nicolas Aragon

Subject: Nicolas Aragon
Posted: August 28, 2009 5:54 AM MDT
Comments: I am researching what I believe to be a great injustice. In 1885 a jury found Nicolas Aragon guilty of Murder in the second degree. I believe that Aragon was railroaded by the system and sent to prison unjustly for the murder of two Deputy Sheriffs. I am looking for any of the decendants of Nicolas Aragon that may have information that would help me to clear up the questions left after this trail. Aragon was living in Chaperito when he and a neigbor Jose de la Cruz Tafoya, were accused of horse theft and were tried and convicted Aragon escaped and ran for his life. When cornered he faught to protect his life and freedom. Please help me to gather the facts that might clear up the Aragon incident. Thank You.
Posted By: Michael Young

Posted: August 28, 2009 6:04 AM MDT
Comments: The deputys that were killed in the Aragon incident were Sheriff deputy Jasper Corn and Sheriffs Deputy John Hurley. There may be family in Los Lunas NM that may be able to shed some light on this incident and trial.

Posted: December 4, 2009 7:32 PM MST
Comments: There are dozens of references on Aragon at the state archives - the district court, penitentiary, and govrnor's reords are but some of the reords groups that tell Aragon's story. There is a short article on Aragon in the February 23- March 23, 2009 issue of Round the Roundhouse. Nespapers of the time also carried numerous reports on Aragon's exploits, from inital arrest for horse theft to his jail break and subsequent gun battles.
Posted By: Robert J. Tórrez

Posted: May 10, 2011 11:28 PM MDT
Comments: I have read quite a bit about the Nicolas Aragon story and I am still convince that he was convicted in the press before he was put on trial. The judge set him up in a no win situation and the facts were distorted. Anyone with more information Please contact me at my email address below.

Post your comments to this discussion
Please login or sign up for an account to post your comments to this discussion.

LOGIN

Username:

Password:

Username:

Password:

Confirm password:

Password hint:

Email:

Confirm email:

Back to TOPICS LIST»